Your Putting is Terrible, Your Short Game is Awful ...
Paul had offered to help me with my game leading up the PGA Qualifying school that first year of my apprenticeship in 1974. he suggested we go out and play a round for him to take a look at my game. In a round scheduled for 18- holes, after 9- holes he had seen enough. At the nine hole break he sits me down at the snack bar and asks,
"What kind of a short game do you think you have?"
"When I/m hot, I'm hot, when I'm not, I'm not," was my naïve reply.
"You're terrible" he deadpanned, much to my chagrin.
"What kind of a putter do you think you are?" he continued.
Before I could answer, he responded a bit more sternly, "You're awful"
I was crushed, but I knew there was a lesson in it somewhere. In the year 1974, before playing statistics like fairways and green hit in regulation or putts per round, scrambling %'s were kept, he knew them all.
"How many greens in regulation do you think tour players average in a round?" Paul drilled.
After guessing 17, then 16, 15, 14, 13, I finally got it right ... just 12 greens or close to 70%.
"That's right, only 12 greens in regulation, so they are missing 6 out of 18 greens on average every round and they still shoot 69 like snapping sticks ... now, do you know how they do that?
"No", I said.
"Well, I do " Paul continued ," When they miss a green in regulation, tour players are able to get the ball up/down 90% of the time and the other 10% they hole out! Now, can you do that?
"No" I replied .
"Then I suggest you find out how" ... Paul concluded.
For the next five years, I tried to find out how.
Lesson: Work long on your short game to cut shots off your score!